Welcome


This journal is concerned with encouraging holiness of life in my children and grand-children. Primarily, it is written for their spiritual edification and instruction. To them, it is directed as a survey of the most pressing needs and overlooked sins in our day, as a Church. To others who may stumble past our little window, we welcome you to enter and warm yourself by the fireside, and take some nourishment with us before you continue on your journey. It is indeed, one of our most blessed priviliges, to open our hearts and our home circle to others we meet. We pray you are encouraged to gird yourself with the warm coat of sobriety, holiness, and love as you resume your journey.
The Pilgrim Pundit

Friday, January 1, 2010

Learning joyfulness in the new year

The 00's will not be missed by many folk. As we come into the teen generation of our new century I am looking back and thinking of the 20's of centuries past and the momentous changes that seem to occur in this stretch of time. The 20's are still a decade off, it is true, but the teen years have been the philosophical and theological brooding ground for what took place in the 20's of nearly every recent century. While I do not plan to chronicle the 1920's for you, or any other century, I do want to make some general observations that are helping me to understand the potential that awaits in this next decade.

First, it seems to me that in every century there has been a decided effort to distinguish society as somehow different from the previous generation during the decade of the 20's. This has usually, in my opinion, been an onslaught of the perceived morality of the day, whether bad or good. This means that there is a great opportunity for the Church to again address the timeless issues of man's sin and rebellion. I am quite sure that there will be those who champion views that mankind is finally close to loosing itself from the shackles of religion, and that now is the time to complete the casting off of the old guard. These have always been here. In every generation of human existence there has been a concerted effort by some to rid themselves of the knowledge of God and the Righteousness that His knowledge presupposes. We must continue the fight in the same manner that is laid out for us in Scripture. There is no greater method of performing our task than the one laid out in Scripture.
It still pleases God to save His elect by the foolishness of preaching. May we all seek grace to perform this task according to the Word.

Secondly, it seems to me that in each previous century there has been an effort to cast the new times as being full of potential. This usually has had a decidedly humanistic brand stamped upon it. The last century gave us the roaring 20's as a time of humanistic expectation and advancement. Pictured for us as the time of Swing and Dance. This also presents an opportunity to proclaim the true Source of expectation and hope. Truly, there is great potential for mankind in the coming century. Medical advances offer staggering possibilities to enrich the temporal life of man. Technology is advancing at speeds that are hard to even understand, promising new and innovative solutions to some of our needs. But against this, is still arrayed the sin of man and his desire to escape the verdict of God that he is incapable of any true moral goodness, or advancements against his own nature despite the seeming improvement of his environment.

What shall be the message of Christ's ambassadors in this coming decade? This is the question of real weight for us. Are we to continue in the same general direction of the last 2 centuries? Will we, as Christians, continue to seek to emulate the world around us in misguided efforts to reach them at their level? Is there any sign that we have recognized the disaster of dispensational theology and are ready to engage in a serious revival of covenanted reformation? Will our divorce rate keep pace with that of the unbeliever? Shall we persist in the selfish abdication of raising our seed...God's seed, so that we can enjoy the so called advances of this age? On and on we could go with comparison and contrast. How much contrast can we honestly claim?

How do we approach the next decade, indeed the next chapter in our journey here, as true representatives of God on earth?

For myself it is with the solemn confession of my spiritual laziness. I begin this new year realizing that I have not properly made effort to redeem the time. I realize that I have not been the husband and father that I should be. So this year we are making plans to buckle down, so to speak. In our home schooling, in our homesteading, in our home economy, and most importantly, in our home piety. We are resolving and covenanting to apply ourselves to the knowledge and practice of the Faith in a more consistent manner. This means that we will finally be answering those lingering questions that our children have been asking about. It also means that we are girding ourselves for the mortification of our old man with it's lusts and variance. Finally, it means that we are making great effort to take nourishment in our walk with God. We are laying aside some of the unprofitable discussions of our former ways and are drinking deeply of more experiential and practical theology.

In short, we are learning to joy in the Lord and share that joy with a world of self-contradiction and guilt.

May God be pleased with this new direction, and may He bless these efforts as done unto Him and for His glory.

4 comments:

Brother Jason said...

God bless you Pilgrim! I appreciate your sincerity, your vision, hope, and honesty. It has been encouraging to read your post today. I look forward to what else you will put here and on your other site. I myself am in similar shoes, I am a home educator, who loves the vision ministered to the Church through Vision Forum Ministries..also, I have to ask, what is your connection with the RPCGA? I too am connected in a way.

Abigail said...

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. Had a bug in the PC. I am a member of an RPCGA congregation in Ocala, Florida. I am studying to be an Elder, possibly teaching. I am fairly new to blogging but learning as I go. Thank you for the encouragement. Vision Forum is fabulous! My children wait for every new magazine. It's like the old time Sears catalog around here!
I look forward to visiting with you in the future. Thanks again and may the Lord continue to encourage you.
Bob

Brother Jason said...

Are you doing studies with Whitefield Seminary? I am thinking really seriously about doing the M.Div program with them. I have started, but I don't know if I will do the whole M.Div or just an M.A.
I know exactly what you mean by the Vision Forum catalogue! Same in our home. God bless, and I will talk to ya later.

Abigail said...

I am not yet a formal student at Whitefield. I have been following a much more informal approach that is approved by our denomination for the training of Elders. I am following the directed studies guide under the mentorship of Reed Best, who is the moderator for our Presbytery. He is also my Pastor and friend. Our hope is to clep a few areas as knowledge permits.
I have to say that I am not a very intellectual person and the formal study track is a bit overwhelming. The Lord has been gracious in calling me to this task though, and I rely on His equipping.
I have no plan on a degree, so to speak. We, as a denomination, seem to prefer an educated clergy so I am not sure what the future will hold. I agree with the need for a serious education and am making every effort to be diligent in my studies. I have always been a heavy puritan and ecclesiatical history reader and hope this familiarity with good theology will help me. I am also studying greek, hermeneutics, and logic at the moment. I plan to add an eclectic blend of the areas that are lacking under my mentor.
I use to play a lot of billiards in my previous life and often noted that when I played with a weaker player, my game usually became weaker. The opposite was also, generally true. I am afraid that I am the weaker player, in academic terms, in our discourse. I absolutely love your blog and plan to visit often. For now, please excuse me as something is burning in the other room and the children sound a bit too excited!
God bless you,
Bob